top of page


It was a weekend of huge success mixed with some disappointment at Silverstone, where Steve Burgess went solo in the GT Cup with the RAW Motorsports Radical RXC.

Fourth overall in first qualifying put Burgess in a challenging position for the opening race. “I had a bit of understeer to dial out, but the new gearbox felt strong and the whole car was a lot better,” he said.

With two separate incidents on the opening lap, the safety car was straight into action in race one. But Burgess had already grabbed the lead. “I got a flying start and got Ian Loggie’s Mercedes on the inside at Stowe,” he explained.

It was lap six before the race was live again, leaving just a four-lap sprint to the chequered flag. “I had just concentrated on the restart, pulled a gap and was away again,” he said.

His cause was helped by a battle for second, which saw victory secured by 2.141 seconds.

From fourth on the grid for the second race, it was another blistering start. “I got the lead onto the Vale, but was aware that Hugo Cook’s Mercedes was close this time,” Burgess explained.

By lap four Cook was starting to challenge for the lead and it was side by side through Luffield, with Burgess just holding on.

“He got me into Village, but without a success penalty at my stop, I was still hopeful,” he said.

They remained in first and second until the stops, but Cook’s lead had grown. But Burgess was still a clear second as they made their stops.

Re-emerging from the pits Burgess was soon into a 22 seconds lead over Loggie. Although it started to come down, the lead margin was still substantial, reducing to 16 seconds by the end of the 21st lap.

With barely five minutes on the clock there was a late drama as the Radical stuttered to a virtual halt exiting Luffield.

“Marcus Clutton had got into second and I knew he was catching me, but then the fuel pressure trip went and it cut out. I then had to re-set it every lap to the flag,” he explained.

With just three-laps to go he was down to fourth, before dropping to a final sixth place.

In Sunday’s qualifying the car was fine again, second fastest and only 0.142 seconds off Loggie’s pole position time. “It was a bit greasy, but OK. We expect the same problem again though in the final race.”

Burgess made another flying start in Sunday’s Sprint, “I was on the wet side of the track and Loggie tried to take me around the outside at Copse, but I held onto the lead,” he said.

With the safety car in action immediately, both Burgess and Loggie pitted for slick tyres.

“I rejoined dead last as Loggie jumped me in the stops. It was drying but still very wet at Club and the safety car was still out,” he added.

The green flag was finally waved for lap four and after five laps he was in 17th. A lap later it was eighth and with a lap to go he was catching Grahame Tilley’s Mercedes for third.

Exiting Copse for the last time he was through, to end a remarkable race in a magnificent third.

It was dry again for the final race and once again Burgess had the Radical on pole.

There was an immediate battle for second between the Mercedes of Hugo Cook and Simon Orange, which allowed Burgess to try and build on his lead.

The top three were well clear, but once Orange had retaken second, Burgess came under threat from both. “They both got me at Village in one move,” he said after dropping to third on lap 15.

He pitted from third but came out second behind Loggie, but three laps later he lost second to Michael O’Brien and a lap later Marcus Clutton followed, leaving him a solid fourth at the flag.

“I had to turn the map down to save on fuel, so obviously lost some pace too, but we had some good results from the weekend,” he concluded.


bottom of page